Spend all your time browsing through DIY projects on Pinterest? Perhaps, it’s time you impress your friends and family with a creation of your own. Seat cushions make the perfect gift for loved ones and are also incredibly easy to make. Here’s your guide to making your own seat cushion:
- Foam cutter
- Measuring tape
- Sewing thread
- Straight edge
- Craft paper or newspaper
- Decide on the size of cushion you want. You can use the measurements of a chair’s seat as guidance. Measure the seat from side to side.
- To get the total width of the fabric, add 6 inches to the measurements taken above
- On a piece of paper, draw out the dimensions of the foam. Use a straight edge to keep the lines as straight as possible
- Cut out the pattern along the lines drawn
- Place the foam onto the pattern you have drawn and trace it with a marker
- Cut the foam with shears
- Take your fabric and hold it in half, pinning its corners to hold it in position.
- Place the pattern drawn on the craft paper and place it on top of the fabric half inch from the hold and half inch from the edge
- Use pins to hold the fabric in place, then draw lines on the fabric half inch out from the other sides of the pattern
- Use scissors to cut along the lines you drew. Cut the fabric in half at the hold, you now have the top and bottom of your cushion
- Rest the foam on the unused fabric and trace around it
- Draw another line after measuring out half inch on all four sides. Cut out 2 pieces of fabric with reference to the outer lines
- Repeat the abovementioned procedure for the short side of the foam, cutting one piece half inch longer and the other piece half inch wider, for an oval shaped cushion.
- Pin all the sides, leaving one of the corners open
- Use a thread and needle to sew half inch seams along the short ends of the fabric strips which you have pinned
- Now pin the sides to the top piece of the fabric and fit the seams
- Place the foam inside to make sure it fits, once it does, pin the final corner closed or make adjustments accordingly
- Remove the foam and sew the final corner closed, sew all the openings, leaving 1/3 of one side to slip the foam inside
- Insert the foam
- Remove all the pins
- Smooth out the foam sew the final opening with a thread and needle
Make the cushion more attractive by using colorful fabric or by adding cute buttons and zippers. Enjoy the new cushion or gift it to a friend to spread some love.